Friday, November 24, 2023

Finding excuse to not have to work…

 As I’m getting older I seem to have less and less energy. I already felt the onset when I was trying to renovate the house in Wilmington all by myself, in an attempt to proof to my then wife how much I cared about her. Well, she didn’t get the message… And i blew, it seems, my last reserve of energy…

Today, I’m working on building two houses here in Panama. And it’s getting harder and harder to get going every morning… 

The house in Chiriquí is about 4 to 5 weeks of work (with hired workers) away from being able to be put on the market. I’m hoping some nice folks to have as neighbors will find it, and enjoy the very unique architecture features and serene country setting, up high enough to have warm (not hot) days and cool nights. Despite the materials and labor costs having risen quite a bit over the last year and a half, I’m still thinking of being able to sell it for 150K - much less than the usual homes suitable for foreigners.

Backside of the house, as seen from the street

Huge terrace - the living room, dining room, and kitchen all at once

Guapo, my trusted worker. Front view of the house

Well, first I need to get it finished, though. And for that I need to get back to Chiriquí…


Currently, we’re in Santa Catalina, Veraguas. one of the best surf spots in Panama. Iris‘ house is really close to being able to make use of it. Really close, but not yet quite there…


Iris - family outing with dogs at playa estero

skin and bones! no matter how much I eat

Happy to take few hours off

Due to the countrywide protests it’s even more difficult to get materials and workers, as movement is very restricted. So I’m forced to try to work on my own…

I’m supposed to tile the livingroom/kitchen, sonIris can do the grouting. And I’m trying to build out one room upstairs, so we have a lockable space to store tools, materials, and other household stuff.


This morning, though, i woke up with the desire to bake Vanille Kipferl - one of the many traditional Austrian Christmas cookies. Iris encouraged me, too, to bake. She always seems to know what i really would like tondo, and asks me to do that. So, today, i baked these cookies, that used to be my longtime favorite sweets around christmas.

We bought a new stove last year. A mid-level style, I guess, as it was not cheap and also not one of the expensive ones. However, it doesn’t have convection fan. Nor does it have upper heat, but only from the bottom. the dial gives temperature ranges, just to make it even more challenging! 

However, given this stove and the fact i haven’t baked Vanille Kipferl in probably decades, they turned out  bastante bien (quite well). 

Proof of that is the fact that for desert at lunch we devoured already 1/2 of what I made!

what a delicious excuse to not have to tile… 😇😝🤪

Vanille Kipferl


No comments:

Post a Comment

rain, rain, rain - this time in Panama!

Well, rainy season it is! The last week and a half we had A LOT of rain. When we came back from Chiriquí we found the restaurant flooded. Af...