Sunday, October 30, 2022

Thoughts about learning another language - Spanish

Once it became clear that I'd be retiring in a country where English is not the main language, I went back to school to get a certificate in teaching english as a second language at University of North Georgia (A great program, by the way...) 

Among the things I learned was the (not so) new approach of "acquiring a language", rather than the old style of "learning about a language".

I learned english and french the old style while in business highschool in Austria. Now, I'm in the process of "acquiring" Spanish, as I am living in Panama. 



I started with Duolingo and Babbel. That gave me a nice little foundation. Interesting, by the way the difference between the two apps: Duolingo is by an American company and Babbel by a German. 

Duolingo is 99.9% "acquiring" and almost zero knowledge "about" the language. Works well - to a degree - but (at least to me) becomes more and more difficult as the skills improve.

Babbel is (by my estimation) 80% acquiring, and 20% background information about the language. To me, Babbel was an excellent complement to Duolingo - once I had acquired a little foundation with Duolingo, Babbel allowed me to reach the next step.

I would say, based on my experience (which means, my style of learning, my (non-)talent for languages, and such), Duolingo by itself wouldn't work for me to get proficient. Babbel by itself might work for proficiency. But, Duolingo and Babbel in combination work the best - for me!

So, if you are trying to learn any new language, I can only highly recommend to try both apps. Start with Duolingo, as it does not have a time constriction for the free version like Babbel does. And after a while try out the free week (month?) of using Babbel. (Just make sure you have plenty of time do maximize the time you can spend with Babbel during that period!) Then decide for yourself whether to pay for the one or the other or both apps; or whether to continue without the support of either...


Well, in my case: Trying to manage the construction of a home requires communicating a lot with local workers. So within a month or two, my Spanish has improved a lot from the Duolingo and Babbel foundation. Especially the vocabulary increased - I added a lot of words around construction, of course. And also I "acquired" certain phrases to the point where they became automatic... 

Now, I can mostly explain what I want my workers to do, and inquire about why they do what they do the way the do, and solicit their thoughts and opinions on various challenges.

However, I have pretty much zero understanding of grammar. I know almost nothing ABOUT the language. 

I find this makes my continuing progress much, much harder!

I now think, based on my own experience, that a combination of the "old style" and the "new style" would bring the best results. Start by acquiring, after a while catch up on grammar, and most of all, continue to "just do it" - speak the language everywhere and anywhere and all the time!


Well, if studying grammar wasn't so damn boring and hard it would be the best for me to now put a lot of focus on just that! If only I wasn't so lazy... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

rain, rain, rain - this time in Panama!

Well, rainy season it is! The last week and a half we had A LOT of rain. When we came back from Chiriquí we found the restaurant flooded. Af...