Thursday, August 12, 2021

The first and basic set of questions

When I left for my trip to Panama in June 2021 I had three big questions that I wanted to get answered:

1. Will I be able to deal with the rain in the rainy season?

Panama has two seasons - dry season from December to April, and rainy season the rest of the year - that is 8 to 9 months of the year! I don't mind rain, but I need to see the sun every so often, otherwise I get depressed, sad, and lethargic. So, how does it feel to live in Panama during the rainy season?

The answer I found is: no problem at all!!!

The sky is often blue, with the sun bright and warm. Every so often, there might be a thunderstorm, or a shower - mostly in the afternoon. And after the shower it usually gets clear again. 

Conclusion: I can easily life with this! I love the sound of the rain on the roof. I appreciate the cooling off and air-cleansing that the rain brings with it.  

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=11ODwDOAw2suZarMu6QI0YIeDcnPAm6Wd

2. Will the language be a preventative problem?

The main language in Panama is Spanish. I don't speak Spanish. I am a numbers guy, I am not good with languages. Learning a new language is an overwhelming task. How is life going to be for me without a good command of that language? Will I be socially isolated? Will I have problems communicating what I need?

The answer I found: No big problem!

Anywhere I went, there was always somebody who would understand a little English. And, trying to learn Spanish, I made more progress than I thought would be possible. So, while it really is limiting to not be able to speak and understand Spanish, it is something that can be worked around - until my skills would have developed.

Conclusion: I can function quite well, even with my extremely limited Spanish skills. Especially meeting Iris (see next question) has helped me a lot in improving my skills. I can see, that eventually, I'll be able to function in Spanish (almost) as well as in English or German.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1uoQZYZDjkUxMPSCSZk8sxak-XHSLdGOE

3. Will I be isolated and alone?

My long-time life-partner has left me about a year ago. Our plan was to retire to Panama together. Well, that went down the drain! If I go there by myself, as single, will I be bound to be by myself, and alone? Or would it be possible to connect with locals, even maybe find another mate?

The answer I found is called: Iris.

We happen to meet by chance - the most beautiful and magical way to come into each other's life. And we hit it off very well, right form the get-go. I realized, that my being in Panama is not necessarily going to be a repeat of the situation in Tobago (where I got 100s of marriage proposals from women who saw in me a rich foreigner who would finance their sitting on the couch all day watching TV for the rest of their lives; but where otherwise I was not able to connect in a romantic way at all). Iris helped me understand - emotionally, because intellectually I knew it already - that you can find love and appreciation anywhere!

Conclusion: Even if Iris were not to become a life-partnership, it is possible to meet women who are willing and interested in dealing with cultural differences, language barriers, and are willing to take a chance with a little, old, peculiar foreigner.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1dnesvG3MpxhG2pvtPM3N2OzjUaq5bOMs


All in all, I take it as an encouraging sign by the Universe how quickly and thoroughly my big questions have been answered. It is now clear, that I will be moving to Panama - and VERY soon! Even though, while my first 3 questions were answered beautifully, there are now a hundred more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

rain, rain, rain - this time in Panama!

Well, rainy season it is! The last week and a half we had A LOT of rain. When we came back from Chiriquí we found the restaurant flooded. Af...